Sunday, May 26, 2024

THE DISABLED ARE ESPECIALLY AFFECTED BY CLIMATE CHANGE

HOW THE DISABLED CAN DEAL WITH AN ENVIRONMENTAL CRISIS

By: Derek Varsalona


Memorial  Day weekend shaped up to be a heat advisory.  Across the nation, people have been dealing with extreme heat in the summer months.  This is definitely due to climate change.  With the thermostat and mercury rising disabled people must have an evacuation plan ready in case they experience power outages.  I am extremely worried for people who have disabilities that rely on electronic medical devices.

People with disabilities especially should have an evacuation plan ready in case there is an emergency.  Rely on a close friend or neighbor to coordinate an emergency evacuation plan prior to the catastrophic event occurring.

Half of the nation is now in jeopardy by climate change.  As the climate changes these storms still get bigger and bigger.  I believe that Superstorm Sandy on Long Island was a result of climate change.  I did okay in Super Storm Sandy.  But then again I have a mild case of Cerebral Palsy and do not use an electric wheelchair or any wheelchair for that matter.  But that does not mean I have it easy.  Due to my disability of short-term memory loss, I often forget important information in a short period of time.   So I need assistance in storing information and emergency contacts.  When the power goes out and my cell phone dies that is when I am in the most trouble of not contacting my emergency contacts.

Since I live with my parents we have an emergency evacuation plan, should we ever need that.  It is best to go over an emergency evacuation plan with your loved ones, or people who assist you if you need assistance.  As always comments accepted.







Disabled affected by Climate Change
Image: The Social and Economic Impact of Climate Change
                                


Source: Christine Rapp and Rebecca Cohen. “ Severe Storms to Strike Eastern Half of the United States This Memorial Day Weekend as Heat Hits the South.” NBCNews.com NewYork City: Saturday, May 25, 2024.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/severe-storms-strike-eastern-half-us-memorial-day-weekend-heat-hits-so-rcna154076




No comments:

Post a Comment

AMERICA SHOULD STAY OUT OF UKRAINE

AMERICA SHOULD NOT BE INVOLVED IN UKRAINE By: Derek Varsalona For all the Democrats talk about not being involved in Iraq, we still have not...